Nasal Tip Surgery (Tip Rhinoplasty)
5 June 2020 onur
This is a form of rhinoplasty in which only the tip of the nose is changed without interfering with the bone structure of the nose.
In this surgery, the tip of the nose can be reduced or enlarged, the angle of the nasal tip can be increased or decreased, the nasal cartilages can be shaped, the soft tissue thickness of the nasal tip can be increased or decreased, the nose wings can be shaped, and the nostrils can be reduced.
If you think you are eligible for aesthetic surgery of the nasal tip, you first need to know the following.
- There is a visual connection between the sub-units of the nose. Changing the nasal tip can change the appearance of other units, requiring a change in other units as well to create a balanced nose structure. For instance, the higher the nasal tip is, the lower the nasal bridge is perceived. As the nasal tip gets lower, the nose appears more arched. In other words, it would be misleading to think that when the nasal tip is changed, the nasal bone structure and everything else will look the same as before. Thus, preoperative computer planning before nasal tip surgery is extra important for the patient to see the potential result.
- There is no significant difference between recovery times in nasal tip surgery (tip rhinoplasty) and a complete rhinoplasty.
- In nasal tip surgery (tip rhinoplasty), it may be necessary to harvest a graft from intranasal septal cartilage to shape the nasal tip. Particularly in structural nasal tip surgery, the procedure can take up to 2 hours. You should not think of it as a very short and simple process.
- In rhinoplasty, it is risky to reduce the total volume and height of the nasal tip simultaneously. The skin of the nasal tip may slump in the area we call the “supratip” (the junction of the nasal tip and the nasal ridge), and the arch may seem to have slipped down.
- The aesthetic surgery of the nasal tip can also be performed under local anesthesia if much intranasal cartilage is not going to be used. However, this option is often more uncomfortable than general anesthesia.
- In nasal tip lift surgery, nostrils will be more visible.
- In nasal tip reduction surgery, the wings may appear wider, and the nostrils may appear more rounded. It may be necessary to intervene in the wings and nostrils simultaneously.
- The cost of nasal tip surgery is usually lower than that of rhinoplasty, which also addresses the bone structure. The cost of nasal tip surgery may vary depending on the surgeon’s experience, the service standards of the health institution and the scope of the procedure.
If the bone structure of your nose is fine, the arch height is appropriate, the skin is thin, the nasal tip cartilages are strong, and the nostrils and wings are of normal size, you may be a good candidate for isolated nasal tip surgery.
However, due to the reasons I have listed above, you now know that the change you want to have at the nasal tip may lead to undesirable results.
That’s where plastic surgery consultation comes in. During examination, we evaluate together whether you are eligible for nasal tip surgery.
Please feel free to contact us for more detailed information on nasal tip surgery.
Take good care…
… of yourself and your beauty.